Ice cave of the Furgg glacier
The Furgg Glacier lies at the foot of the Matterhorn east face at an altitude of approx. 2'700 m a.s.l and 3'400 m a.s.l.. Since the little ice age around the year 1850, the Furgg and Theodul Glaciers have shrunk by more than three kilometres.
On this trail you can experience first-hand how much the glacier world is changing. What does the glacier leave behind on its retreat? What influence these changes have on flora and fauna and how do the people use the glacier's remain? It smells of snow, ice, stone, water and pure mountain air.
The highlight is a visit to an ice cave, which was created by nature in December 2019.
Approx. 5 - 6 hours
End of June until End of October (depending on the conditions)
- Daily with a private mountain / hiking guide
- In a group: every Tuesday and Friday
In Winter possible on request
1- 6 persons (in a group minimum 4 persons )
Suitable for children over 12 years
- You will meet your private mountain guide at 08:30 a.m. at the bottom station of the Matterhorn Express.
- You take the gondola either to Schwarzsee or to Trockener Steg and from there you will start your incredible and beautiful hike to the Furgg glacier ice cave.
With a private mountain guide:
- CHF 570.00 for 1-3 person, each additonial person CHF 40.00
In a group:
- CHF 160.00 per person (minimum 4 persons, maximum 10 persons)
- Cable car ticket Zermatt – Schwarzsee both ways: CHF 57.00
- or Zermat – Trockener Steg one way : CHF 49.50 + Schwarzsee-Zermatt CHF 37.50
- Drinks and snacks
Insurance is the responsibility of the participant (accident and evacuation insurance)
Please contact us 2-3 days in advance by phone or directly in our ZERMATTERS office to ask about the conditions and to discuss the last details.