Monte Rosa Hut
The now almost legendary hut stands at the foot of the Monte Rosa massif. On the left side you have a wonderful view of the twins (Castor and Pollux), the Breithorn and the Matterhorn. The hut is an ideal starting point for alpine tours in the Monte Rosa area.
The current Monte Rosa Hut with 120 places was completely rebuilt 2009. It is the result of a joint project of the Monte Rosa Section of the Swiss Alpine Club SAC and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich). The innovative building, which, with its special shape and silver aluminium shell, is reminiscent of a rock crystal, breaks completely new ground in terms of building services and energy management.
Discover this milestone of high alpine construction; the Monte Rosa Hut is at an exposed location at 2’883 m a.s.l, in the midst of an unspoilt and spectacular landscape between the Gorner, Grenz and Monte Rosa glaciers.
If you want to tackle the second largest glacier in the Alpine region, then put on your crampons and discover a truly unique world: there is always a cool wind up here and the smell of the freezing cold is omnipresent. Listen to the constant creaking, cracking, and rumbling coming from inside the ice giant.
From mid-June – mid-September
- Private: daily on request
- In a group: every Saturday/Sunday and Wednesday/Thursday
1 – 8 persons (in a group minimum 4 persons)
Suitable for children from 10 years with a good physical condition
- You will meet your mountain guide at 10:00 a.m. at the train station of the Gornergrag
- From Rotenboden you will hike to the Monte-Rosa hut
- Dinner and overnight stay at the Monte-Rosa hut
Please note that we book the hut for you!!!!
- Breakfast at the Monte-Rosa hut
- Afterwards you will make you way back to Rotenboden, where you will take the train back to Zermatt.
- You will be back in town at the beginning of the afternoon.
With a private mountain guide:
- CHF 1‘275.00 for 1-3 persons, each additional person CHF 60.00
In a group:
- CHF 340.00 per person (minimum 4 persons )
- Train ticket Zermatt-Rotenboden both ways: CHF 106.00
- Overnight stay and half-board at the Monte-Rosa hut: CHF 105.00 (also for your private mountain guide)
- Individual drinks and snacks
- You can rent the material (crampons, hiking pole, harness) directly at the ZERMATTERS Homebase at the rate of CHF 30.00 per person (limited number available).
Insurance is the responsibility of the participant (accident and evacuation insurance)
Please contact us 2-3 days in advance by phone or directly in our ZERMATTERS office to ask about the conditions and to discuss the last details.