Dom 4'545 m a.s.l.
At 4’545 m a.s.l., the Dom is the highest mountain on Swiss ground. This majestic mountain belongs to the Mischabel group. The starting point for the tour is the Dom hut at 2’940 m a.s.l.. It was named in honor of the bishop of Sion, Joseph Anton Berchtold.
The Dom was first climbed on 11th September 1858 by J. Llewellyn Davis, Johannes Zumtaugwald, Johann Kronig and Hieronymous Brantschen over the northwest ridge.
This wonderful combined tour leads from Randa (1’407 m a.s.l.) via hiking trails to the Dom hut (2’940 m a.s.l.). The high altitude tour begins at the Dom hut. Over the Festi Glacier you will reach the Festijoch and from there over the northern flank the summit.
The ascent over the Festi ridge is possible on request.
- Approx. 5 - 6 hours ascent from the Dom hut
- Approx. 5 hours descent to the Dom hut
Daily from mid-July to mid-September (depending on the conditions)
1 - max. 2 persons
- You will make your own way from Randa to the Dom hut. There you will meet your mountain guide the evening before.
- Dinner and overnight at the Dom hut
- You will start the ascent at around 03:00 a.m. (depending on season).
- The ascent will take 5 - 6 hours
- The descent to the Dom hut approx. 4 hours.
- From the hut you will make your own way back to Randa.
Technical level: +++
Endurance level: *****
You will need to be very well acclimatized and have good endurance for this demanding peak. You must also have experience in climbing other 4’000 meter peaks and have experience climbing with crampons. Alpine climbing in levels 3 to 4 should not be a problem for you.
With a private mountain guide:
- CHF 1'525.00 for 1 person
- CHF 1'630.00 for 2 persons
A deposit of CHF 100.00 per person (included in this price) for all the 2-days tours will be required. This amount is non-refundable (even if you cancel the tour early or if the weather on the day is bad and the tour cannot be postponed).
- Overnight and half board in the Dom hut for you and your mountaing guide: CHF 82.00 per person.
- Return train journey from Zermatt to Randa: CHF 28.40.
- Rental equipment: between CHF 50.00 and CHF 70.00 available in a sport shop in Zermatt.
The ascent of the Dom is a demanding high altitude climb. Please inform us, when you book, which other 4’000 meters peaks you have climbed and what other alpine experience you have.
We strongly recommend a training climb with a mountain guide. The preparation tours can also be done in a group, as long as another person has registered for it.
Insurance is the responsibility of the participant (accident and evacuation insurance)
Please contact us 2-3 days in advance by phone or directly in our ZERMATTERS office to ask about the conditions and to discuss the last details.