Zinalrothorn 4'221 m a.s.l
The Zinalrothorn is a 4’221 m a.sl.l. high mountain in Zermatt. In contrast to many peaks of the same height, the Zinalrothorn is composed of pure rock. The summit of the Zinalrothorn protrudes into the landscape making it unmistakable. The name is taken from the Zinal holiday resort located in the Val d’Anniviers. On reaching the summit you will experience impressive views of the Matterhorn and the Monte Rosa glacier field.
The first ascent was made by Leslie Stephen and Florence Crauford Grove with the guides Melchior and Jakob Anderegg, they ascended from Zinal over the north ridge on 22nd August 1864.
The three ridges climbs are of medium difficulty. In addition to the north ridge route that the first climbers took you can also do the somewhat less demanding south-east ridge and Rothorn ridge.
- Approx. 4 - 5 hours ascent from the Rothorn hut
- Approx. 4 hours decent to the Rothorn hut
Mid-July to mid-September (depending on conditions)
Max. 1 person
- You will make your own way to the Rothorn hut. There you will meet your mountain guide the evening before.
- Dinner and overnight at the Rothorn hut.
- At around 04:00 a.m. (depending on season) start of the ascent.
- The ascent from the Rothorn hut will take approx. 4 - 5 hours.
- Tthe decent to the Rothorn hut will take approx. 4 hours.
- You will then make your own way from the Rothorn hut to Zermatt.
Technical level: ++++
Endurance level: ****
You will need to be very well acclimatized and have very good endurance for this demanding peak. You must also have experience in other 4’000 meter peaks and have experience in climbing with crampons. Alpine climbing in degree 3 to 4 should not be a problem for you.
With a private mountain guide:
- CHF 910.00 for 1 person
A deposit of CHF 100.00 per person (included in this price) for all the 2-days tours will be required. This amount is non-refundable (even if you cancel the tour early or if the weather on the day is bad and the tour cannot be postponed).
- Overnight and half board in the Rothorn hut for you and your mountaing guide: CHF 87.00 per Person
- Rental equipment: between CHF 50.00 and CHF 70.00 available in a sports shop in Zermatt.
The ascent of the Zinalrothorn is a demanding high altitude climb. Please inform us, when you book, which other 4’000 meters peaks you have climbed and what other alpine experience you have (Kilimanjaro and Mont-Blanc are not comparable to the Zinalrothorn as they are not rock tours)
We strongly recommend a training climb with a mountain guide. The preparation tours can also be done in a group, as long as another person has registered for it.
Insurance is the responsibility of the participant (accident and evacuation insurance)
Please contact us 2-3 days in advance by phone or directly in our ZERMATTERS office to ask about the conditions and to discuss the last details.