OBER GABELHORN 4'062 m a.s.l.
The first ascent was made on July 6th, 1865 by Adolphus Warburton Moore, Horace Walker and Jakob Anderegg.
The normal route leads from the Rothorn hut (3'198 m a.s.l.) over the Trift Glacier to the shoulder of Wellenkuppe (3,909 m a.s.l.). Above this comes some easy climbing (III-) on the pronounced east-northeast ridge over the large gendarme and up to the summit. This is a combined high tour. Another interesting tour is the ascent of the Ober Gabelhorn via the Arbengrat.
The ascent via the Arbengrat is possible on request.
- Approx. 6-7 hours ascent from the Rothorn hut.
- Approx. 5 hours descent to the Rothorn hut
Daily from mid-July to mid-September (depending on conditions)
Max. 1 person
- You will make your own way to the Rothorn hut where you will meet your mountain guide the evening before.
- Dinner and overnight at the Rothorn hut,
- You will then start your ascent at around 04:00 a.m.
- The ascent from the Rothorn hut will take approx. 6-7 hours
- The decent to the Rothorn hut will take approx. 4 hours.
- You will then make your own way from the Rothorn hut to Zermatt.
Technical level: ++++
Endurance level: ****
You will need to be very well acclimatized and have very good endurance for this demanding peak. You must also have experience in other 4’000 meter peaks and have experience in climbing with crampons. Alpine climbing in levels 3 to 4 should not be a problem for you.
With a private mountain guide:
- CHF 1'010.00 for 1 person
A deposit of CHF 100.00 per person (included in this price) for all the 2-days tours will be required. This amount is non-refundable (even if you cancel the tour early or if the weather on the day is bad and the tour cannot be postponed).
- Overnight and half board in the Rothorn hut for you and your mountaing guide: CHF 87.00 per Person
- Rental equipment: between CHF 50.00 and CHF 70.00 available in a sports shop in Zermatt.
The ascent of the Ober Gabelhorn is a demanding high altitude climb. Please inform us when you book which other 4’000 meters peaks you have climbed and what other alpine experience you have (Kilimanjaro and Mont-Blanc are not comparable to the Obergabelhorn as they are not rock tours)
We strongly recommend a training climb with a mountain guide. The preparation tours can also be done in a group as long as another person has registered for it.
Insurance is the responsibility of the participant (accident and evacuation insurance)
Please contact us 2-3 days in advance by phone or directly in our ZERMATTERS office to ask about the conditions and to discuss the last details.