Weisshorn 4'505 m a.s.l.
The Weisshorn is the secret star among the 4’000 peaks in the Zermatt area, with its unusual shape resembling an isosceles triangle this mountain has always been a great challenge for alpinists.
The first ascent of the Weisshorn took place on the 19th August 1861 by John Tyndall, Johann Josef Benet and Ulrich Wenger. They climbed via the east ridge, today's normal route.
The south west ridge (Schaligrat) is the most demanding of the three Weisshorn ridges. It was first climbed on 2nd September 1895 by mountain guides Josef Marie Biner from St Niklaus and Edward Bromme from England. Finally, the north ridge was climbed on 21st September 1898 by H Biehly and H Burgener.
The Weisshorn is climbed from the Weisshorn hut over the East ridge.
The ascent over the Schaligrat and the north ridge is possible on demand.
- Approx. 6 - 7 hours ascent from the Weisshorn hut
- Approx. 5 hours descent to the Weisshorn hut
Daily from mid-July to mid-September (depending on conditions)
Max. 1 person
- You will make your own way from Randa to the Weisshorn hut. There you will meet your mountain guide the evening before.
- Dinner and overnight at the Weisshorn hut
- You will start the ascent at around 03:00 a.m. (depending on season)
- The Ascent will take 6 - 7 hours
- The descent to the Weisshorn hut about 5 hours
- From the hut you will make your own way back to Randa.
Technical level: +++++
Endurance level: ******
You will need to be very well acclimatized and have good endurance for this demanding peak. You must also have experience in other 4’000 meter peaks and have experience climbing with crampons. Alpine climbing in degree 3 to 4 should not be a problem for you.
With a private moutain guide:
- CHF 1'650.00 for 1 person
A deposit of CHF 100.00 per person (included in this price) for all the 2-days will be required.
This amount is non-refundable (even if you cancel the tour early or if the weather on the day is bad and the tour cannot be postponed).
- Overnight and half board in the Weisshorn hut for you and your mountain guide: CHF 82.00 per person
- Return train journey from Zermatt to Randa: CHF 28.40
- Rental equipment: between CHF 50.00 and CHF 70.00 available in a sports shop in Zermatt
The ascent of the Weisshorn is a demanding high altitude climb. Please inform us, when you book, which other 4’000 meters peaks you have climbed and what other alpine experience you have (Kilimanjaro and Mont-Blanc are not comparable to the Weisshorn as they are not rock tours)
We strongly recommend a training climb with a mountain guide. The preparation tours can also be done in a group, as long as another person has registered for it.
Insurance is the responsibility of the participant (accident and evacuation insurance)
Please contact us 2-3 days in advance by phone or directly in our ZERMATTERS office to ask about the conditions and to discuss the last details.